Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How I Met Love, Ice Cream, Part 2


*To start at the beginning click here.*

We pulled apart and Shanam immediately turned towards the shops.

"Where to?" he asked, excitedly.

"Ghiradelli's is just right here, we could try that."

"Sounds great!" he said, already leading the way though the parked cars. His huge strides matched his enthusiasm and I giggled as I stepped quickly every few feet, so I wouldn't get left behind.

"Does he always walk this fast? Or is he just nervous?"

I tried to suppress my giggles but he noticed and turned towards me, smiling, "What? What's so funny?"

Looking up at him, I managed to say, "I can barely keep up!!"

We both just laughed and he apologized, blaming it on the fact that he was really excited to get some ice cream. I would later find out how true that really was :)

Ghiradellis turned out to be closed due to some construction, so we started our long journey to the other side of Downtown Disney where there was a Haagen-Daaz ice cream shop. As we weaved through the crowds, I realized that I enjoyed being seen with him. I felt a sense of pride that I had never felt with anyone else before. I liked that and it made me stand up just a little bit taller :)

We arrived at the ice cream counter and I debated over what flavor I wanted. Shanam seemed to have no trouble all.

"Yes! They have my favorite!" he nearly shouted, "Swiss Almond Vanilla!"

I chuckled at how easily pleased he was and decided on mint chocolate chip with warm, gooey fudge drizzled on top. At the register, I pulled out my Disney ID card so we could get an employee discount.

"That'll be $3.60 total, please." said the cashier.

Shanam was impressed and he turned to me saying, "Wow! I should have you along more often! Where else do you get discounts?"

"Lots of restaurants all over Orlando."

"Is that a hint?" he teased. "Are you asking for a second date?"

I just smiled back, waving my ID card at him.

We chose to sit outside along the river front, since it was a beautiful night and there wasn't as much noise. The lights from the resort across the lake shone brightly off the water's surface and a slight breeze stirred the leaves on the trees above us. We sat down on a small wooden bench and enjoyed our view while we savored each bite of ice cream.

"See that resort across the water?" I asked. "That's one of the resorts I work at. It's called Saratoga Springs."


Our conversation flowed easily as we shared the details of our lives. I enjoyed listening as he told me about where he grew up--how he had traveled and lived all over the United States, not really being able to call one distinct place "home." As a child, his father was in medical school, transferring from one school to another and when Shanam got older he attended private schools along the east coast. One of them being an athletic school where he specialized in downhill ski racing! We also talked about his current job and where he wanted to be in 5-10 years. I admired his ambition and his clear perspective on life. He sounded like he had a good grasp on reality and was responsible enough to take ownership of his decisions. Two very important things I always looked for.

While we were talking he kept interjecting, "I'm sorry, I usually don't talk this much! I want to find out more about you!"

To which I would respond, "Don't worry about it! I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to know you." And I would ask another question. My purpose that night was to listen. I wanted to find out if he was half as good as he looked. :)

"Hey, look over there! Is that a gator in the water?" he asked, pointing to a dark spot not too far from where we sat.

"No way!" I quickly leaned forward to get a better look.

"I really think it is!!" he exclaimed.

As I squinted, I finally came to the conclusion that it was just a duck, and started to lean back against the bench. Only...it wasn't the bench that I felt...it was his arm :) I was definitely okay with that and snuggled in closer.

"Smooth. Very smooth."

No comments: