Sunday, January 15, 2012

How I Met Love, Tampa Dance, Part 3


*To start at the beginning click here.*

There was now a country song playing and everyone was filling in the space around us.

"Do you want to come dance over here and meet my friends?" he asked.

"Sure."

He lead me to the corner where a group of 10 or 15 people were dancing and laughing. We danced with them for a little while, stealing glances at each other whenever we could. Each time our eyes met, it felt like every nerve in my body was tingling. No contact was necessary! One of his friends yelled something into his ear and Shanam turned to me to relay the message.

"We're all headed out to eat now, but I'm going to be in Orlando tomorrow night. Would you like to get dessert somewhere?"

My first thought was, "Is he asking me out? Could this gorgeous man actually want to see me again?!"

"I'd love to, but I have to work late." I sadly informed him.

"Well, we could get together when you get off. What time do you work until?"

"I don't get off until 11," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"That's okay. I'll give you a call tomorrow night and we'll see if you feel up for some ice cream." There was no way I could refuse that proposal (and there was no way I would want to), so I agreed. He brought out his cell phone from his back pocket and I slowly rocked back and forth on my heels, peering over the phone to make sure he was entering my number exactly right. I watched as the muscles in his forearm flexed as he pressed each button.

"Alright, Bethany, I'll talk to you tomorrow, then." With that, he leaned over and gave me a quick hug, barely making it out the door to join his friends.

I stood there stunned for a brief moment. "Did that really just happen?" Amy rushed over to where I was standing, but all I could do was laugh.

"Who was that guy?! He was way cute!! Did he just get your number?! Oh my gosh! Are you going out with him?!"

I finally regained my composure and told her everything.

"Can you believe it?!" I exclaimed. "I doubt I'll be able to concentrate at all at work tomorrow!"

I didn't have to wait until the next day to see him, however. It turned out that our group of friends decided to go out to eat at the same restaurant. Fate? Perhaps :)

As soon as we walked into Applebees, I spotted his friends seated near the bar. I couldn't see where he was sitting exactly, but just knowing he was there immediately gave me butterflies in my stomach. I gathered up my courage and started walking towards his table. One of his friends saw me and waved, making me feel a little braver.

"Hey guys! Long time no see," I said, trying to cover up my nervousness. Everyone stopped their conversation to see who it was. "Just wanted to come over and say, 'Hi.'" All eyes were on me, but I only saw one face. He was seated in the corner between two girls.

"Oh, hey, Bethany!" Shanam said.

"Hey." I smiled and turned my head back to my friends. I saw that they were moving out of the entry-way, so I said, "Oops, I gotta go! They're seating our group, now!" I was glad I didn't have to try and find something to talk about. I had made my appearance and that was good enough for me. Short and sweet. :)

3 comments:

Melissa Grow said...

I loved that little series! I miss dancing with you at dances. So glad all that dancing practice paid off for you! :)

Amy said...

Noe this I recall, but I'm sure I at least took a breath between my inquisition :) Remember that other guy who tried to get your attention that night? I'm sooooo glad Shanam won!

Bethany said...

Mel-- I totally miss dancing with you, too! You would have enjoyed that night :)

Amy-- Definitely remember that other guy and so does Shanam :) LOL! He always makes fun of me that I went to the dance just to see Kenny :) And I always remind him that I came away from the dance with someone much better :) You're right, I'm sooooo glad Shanam won, too!