Friday, January 20, 2012

How I Met Love, Breakfast Crepes

Saturday, May 10, 2008, Day 9

"So, why is it that you like pecans so much, again?" I asked Shanam, as he rinsed the strawberries he had brought.

"I don't know, really. There's just something about pecan pancakes with real maple syrup on top."

"Well, I hope you like these crepes. I haven't made them since I was in France." I was concentrating on getting all the lumps out of the batter and it was taking more effort than usual. "You should taste the crepes in Paris! Oh, they are so amazing!"

"Well, maybe one of these days, I'll hire you as my tour guide and you can show me everything you love about Paris." he said, grinning.

Laughing, I said, "It's a deal!"

Shanam turned around and sauntered over to where I was, humming a Parisian tune and slid his arms around my waist. I continued to beat the batter and giggled. That only encouraged him more, so he rocked his hips back and forth, humming into my ear. My giggling must have awakened my roommate, because at that moment, Jennlyn slowly walked into the kitchen, half asleep.

Rubbing her eyes she said, "Good morning, you two."

We both turned around and saw her standing against the wall, obviously using it as a support to keep her up. We burst out laughing! First, because she had caught us in the kitchen dancing and second, because her hair was standing straight up, sticking out in all different directions.

"I'm sorry, Jennlyn. Did we wake you up?" I apologized, trying to hold back my laughter. "This is Shanam, by the way."

She looked at Shanam and did her best to give him a smile. She was still waking up.

Shanam said, "Good morning," and after a slight pause, "nice hair!" Jennlyn joined in the round of laughter that began again and touched her hair to see just how tall it was that morning.
We finished preparing the crepes as Jennlyn sat down at the table and chatted with us. Shanam turned out to be quite the chef as he took over in the kitchen, flipping the crepes up and into the air, catching them perfectly each time. I was thoroughly impressed and wondered what other talents he hadn't shared with me yet. :)
We piled our crepes high with strawberries, pecans, and homemade whipped cream, that he had also "whipped up" himself. Our breakfast was delicious and gladly shared with Jennlyn as we all sat at the kitchen table discussing places we wanted to visit in Florida. Shanam had brought me beautiful pink-tipped roses that morning and I had displayed them in the center of the table in a bright blue glass vase.

"Do you know what I've always wanted to do?" I said, touching one of the rose petals, "I've always wanted to see the sunrise on the east coast and the sunset on the west coast, both in the same day. Florida's the only place you can do that."

"You know, I've always wanted to do that, too." Shanam said.

"You guys should definitely do it, then." suggested Jennlyn.

Shanam smiled at me, "Well, it looks like we just found our next date idea."

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh how I love Jennlyn and her amazing hair!! This is like time travel, and reading a romance novel - that I've already seen the movie for.... Except that it is real!lol

Bethany said...

Amy- It's too bad I don't have a picture of her awesome hair :) My mental pictures will definitely last forever, though :) Glad you're enjoying the trip down memory lane with me! As I'm writing this, I'm amazed at how much of a character you played in our story. Thanks for being such a great friend through it all :)