Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How I Met Love, Seasons 52, Part 1

*To start at the beginning click here.*

Wednesday, May 7, 2008, Day 6

"Jennlyn, which necklace should I wear?" I shouted from the bathroom. It was date night and I wanted to make sure I looked good. Jennlyn came into the bathroom and started playing with my curly hair.

"I think the one you have on looks great. And your hair! I wish I had hair like this!" she said, continuing to fluff the curls from the bottom. Just then, the doorbell rang. I looked at Jennlyn with huge, wide eyes, not able to hide my excitement.

"Well, go get it!" she laughed...referring to the door. :)

It felt like I was gliding on air as I hurried out the bathroom. I got to the front door and saw his dark figure through the frosted glass. My adrenaline was in full gear, so at that point I had to tell myself to exhale slowly. When I was ready, I pulled open the door, prepared for whatever the night had in store.

"Hi!" he said simply when he saw me.

"Hi!" I smiled back.

"You look amazing! I didn't know you had curly hair!"

"Well, thank you! It's au naturel." I said with my best french accent. "Do you want to come in while I grab my purse?"

When he agreed, I opened the door wider, to allow more space. He walked by me and I could smell the sweet scent of his cologne, immediately bringing me back to our last date. I scurried around, making sure I had everything I needed and finally presented myself as being ready. He had been making conversation with my roommate, Amy, and her boyfriend, Chuck, while he waited. As I followed him out the door, I turned around to wave goodbye and they both gave me a thumbs-up sign. I had to laugh and appreciate what great friends I had. :)

"My car's in the shop tonight so I had to borrow my dad's." he said in an overly apologetic tone. We approached the car and once again, it was a gorgeous, silver BMW. Only this car was an M5, stick-shift, fully-loaded beauty. He reached for the handle to open the door for me.

"I'm pretty bummed." he said sarcastically.

"Yeah, me too!" I played along.

I slid onto the black leather seat and felt completely encircled in luxury. I could definitely get used to this! I watched as Shanam made his way around the car and into the driver's seat.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked.

I looked directly into his eyes and said, "Bring it on!"

As soon as we turned onto the main road, he showed me what the car was made of. He accelerated so fast that my head pushed back against the head rest as if we were riding a rollercoaster! I admired how beautifully he handled the car and laughed with pure enjoyment. Despite the 0-60 rush, I felt completely relaxed as we easily transitioned into conversation and picked up where we had left off.
He chose to take me to one of his favorite restaurants called Seasons 52. This restaurant prides itself on having a seasonal menu, meaning the menu changes with every season, using only the freshest ingredients available. When we arrived, there was a 45 minute wait so we chose to sit outside on the patio surrounded by lush green plants and a water fountain.
We found two chairs facing each other, but they were obviously too far apart because soon into our conversation, Shanam brought his chair up to the point where our knees were almost touching. I smiled in approval, inviting his show of interest and undivided attention.
Our names were called and we followed our hostess through the piano bar and main dining area out to the rear balcony. My whole body rang with happiness as my eyes beheld our breathtaking view. There, before us, was a brilliant blue lake. Colors of pink and orange lit up the sky as the sun slowly set beyond the horizon. My heart could not have been happier. Tiny paper lanterns were strung along the ceiling, candles adorned each table, and the wicker tables and chairs set the mood completely as I let myself sink into the soft, flowered seat cushions. As I gazed across the table at the man I was with, I knew there was no where else in the world I would rather be.

No comments: