Friday, January 13, 2012

How I Met Love, Tampa Dance, Part 1

Friday, May 2, 2008

"You're coming to the dance tonight, right?!" Amy shouted on her way out the door for work.

"I already told you! I have to work!" I shouted back. I was leisurely making breakfast, and didn't want to be reminded that I was going to miss out on all the fun that night.

"Bethany, there are going to be TONS of guys there! You can't miss it! Besides, I need a you. You know I love my men, but I can't take 'em all," she half joked, half pleaded.

"Okay, okay. I'll see what I can do. You better get going, though! You'll be late for work!"

I laughed as she slammed the front door and ran to her car. Sometimes having an afternoon shift at Disney World paid off, but that day I wished I was the one running out the door. Instead, I was scheduled to work until 11:00 p.m., right about when the party in Tampa would be getting started 2 hours away. Only a miracle would get me to that dance!
Later that night, after doing a bit of my own pleading, I got my miracle! My manager at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort agreed to let me leave early! I drove to a gas station by the freeway, where Amy and Jared met me with a change of clothes, and hopped in their car. We were off!
As soon as we arrived in Tampa and walked through the doors of the auditorium, we were greeted by all our friends, beckoning us to join them on the dance floor. Amy and I just looked at each other and smiled. This was what being young and single was all about! The excitement in the air was invigorating and we quickly fell into the rhythm of the music, laughing and smiling, letting the beat control our movements.

"Come with me to pick out a song for Pedro, it's his birthday!"Amy grabbed my arm and we weaved our way up to the front. When we got to the front table, there was only room for one person to squeeze in with the people huddled around the playlist, so I stood close by, offering my opinion, when asked. I was enjoying watching the break-dancers up front when suddenly my admiration was interrupted by a low, deep voice.

"Wow! You remind me of a girl I know from California. You look just like her!"
I turned my head in the direction of the voice and saw a tan, handsome, brunette facing me. I immediately noticed his bright white smile and playful eyes. He was wearing a loose, white button-up shirt, rolled up at the wrists with dark-washed jeans.

"I do?! That's funny, cause that's where I grew up!" I responded. But before I even finished my sentence, he was pulled back into the huddle to help choose the next song. I wondered where he was from and why I had not seen him at a dance before. I wouldn't get the chance to ask, though, because two seconds later, Amy finished up and grabbed my hand to lead me back on to the dance floor.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I barely remember all that, but I guess you have much better reasons to remember ;) Boy was I crazy! I forgot how much fun we used to have:)

Bethany said...

Amy-- TONS of fun! I could write a book on just our adventures together and it would be a novel! And of course a good read :)