Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How I Met Love, Wake Boarding

Monday, May 26, 2008

We arose at 5:30 am and got ready for our morning on the water. Growing up, I had always preferred to be the flag girl on the boat, so I had never actually done any sort of water sports. I had gone inner tubing, but that doesn't require any skill other than to hold on for dear life. As I was getting ready, my nerves were jittery, but I didn't want Shanam to think I was one of those wimpy girls who preferred to watch from the boat, even though that's exactly what I was. I did have another side to me, though, that I was hoping would shine through. An adventurous side, where I liked to try new things and not pass up an opportunity to make the most of a situation. So, that's where I found myself, bright and early Monday morning. Shanam, on the other hand, was completely pumped and ready to go. Little did he know how anxious I really was.

"So, are you excited?!" Shanam asked on our drive to the boat dock.

"You betcha!" I responded, a little too enthusiastically. "Now it's your turn not to laugh at me too hard."

"I won't laugh at you! Well, maybe just a bit, but really, getting up is not as easy as it looks."

"Oh yeah, how long did it take you to get up?" I asked.

"It only took me once." he said smiling.

"Ha, so hard!"

"You've been snowboarding before, so that will help you." He assured me.

"We'll see." I said, hoping he was right.

He got out on the water first to show me how it was done. I absolutely loved watching him and enjoyed when he did jumps and tricks. He made it look so effortless. I really could have spent the entire time on the boat contently watching him have fun, but I knew it would be my turn soon.
He prepped me and walked me through the steps of getting up. It sounded easy enough, but unfortunately, I failed...miserably. After what seemed like hundreds of attempts, and lots of water up the nose, my arms and legs felt like they were about to fall off and I had to call it quits...without ever getting up. I did get closer to actually getting a feel for it, though, and felt sure that I could get up the next time we went out...if he gave me that chance.
They circled around to come get me out of the water and I looked up at him pathetically. "I'm so sorry. I just can't do it any more. My body hurts all over!"

He bent down and extended his hand out towards me to help me into the boat. "Don't worry about it, babe. You gave it your best shot. You'll get up next time." His smile, once again, made everything better.

"So, you still want to date me even though I couldn't get up?" I said once I was seated, wrapped in a towel. I was half joking, half serious.

He let out a hearty chuckle and gave me a look as if to say, "Oh, please."

We enjoyed another 20 minutes cruising around in the boat, riding over other people's wakes and making sharp turns. I loved feeling the wind in my hair and Shanam's strong arm around my shoulders. I felt secure knowing that he accepted me for the less-than-athletic person I was. I knew he wished I were more athletic and I also knew that if our relationship continued further that I would really need push myself. I was willing to go outside my comfort zone as long as he was willing to be patient and understanding. That day, he proved to be both. I was more than happy to discover this wonderful trait.


Text Message (Monday, June 2, 2008, 11:00 am)

Me: Look! I got up! I can wake board! I went out with some girlfriends this morning. I wish you could have seen me! You would have been so proud!

Him: Oh congrats! Yes, I wish I was there! How was it?

Me: So sweet! Thanks for being such a great teacher :)

Him: I am proud! You're great! Have fun!

2 comments:

Mark and Kim said...

It IS hard to get up! I failed miserably on TWO boating trips before ever getting up. I think my arms/back were sore for days!

Bethany said...

Oh good! I'm glad I'm no the only one who had a tough time!