Saturday, May 21, 2011

Making Headway!


If you remember back to our family New Years letter, one of my goals was to run a half marathon and one of Shanam's goals was to get his pilots license. Well, today we've made some big steps toward those goals :) On Monday morning I was looking up some local 5K's that I could possibly do and there was one for today, Saturday, in Big Spring, TX which is about 60 miles away. When I told Shanam that I was interested in doing that one, he said, "No way! That's where I have to go to take my FAA written exam! Maybe if I study every night I can be ready to take it by Saturday." So he studied until 1 am every night and I ran 2-3 miles every day, so by the time Saturday rolled around, we were both ready and excited! I dropped him off at the airport testing center, kissed him good luck and Annabelle and I went on to Big Spring State Park where we registered and ran our first 5K! It was great! There were more hills than I'm used to, but we had a great run and had fun doing it! After they passed out awards for the top 3 males and females I shouted out, "What about the stroller division?!" You see...I was the only one there jogging with a stroller :) They said I got first place and everyone laughed and clapped for me :) A lot of them came over to check out Annabelle's jogging stroller, like they had never seen one before, and to say hi to Annabelle :) She was a star :) Shortly after, Shanam called to say he had passed the exam!! He was kinda nervous because it's a hard test. There were 60 questions pulled from a bank of 3000, but he did it!! We both felt great after accomplishing such big steps! Now he just has a few more hours in the plane and one long cross country trip he has to do solo and he'll be a pilot!! I'm now training for a 10K and my body feels better and better during each run!

1 comment:

Bre said...

That's awesome, Beth!!! I love that you are the only one in the stroller division in your races. That would never happen in Utah. hahahaha. love you! so proud of you!